- Over the past several years the role of technology in the classroom has grown leaps and bounds. Teachers are using smart rooms with interacting white boards. Many classrooms are equipped with projectors so teachers can use computer displays, websites, and power points to enhance the student's learning experience, and aid in their understanding and comprehension. Computers and technology are very important in the classroom experience because they create a more diverse learning experience for students and they offer more resources to teachers. The use of computers and projectors in classrooms also caters toward students who, like me, learn better through visual stimuli. Previously the visual portion of a lesson was limited to white board notes and overhead projection diagrams; lessons were based mostly on the spoken lecture. Now students are able to learn visually as well as audibly, and even kinesthetically , as many classrooms are equipped with interactive computers for student's use. Technology and computers come with their own issues however. For one, the introduction of new and advanced technology can tend to set back older teachers, who are very set in their traditional ways and might have more trouble learning to use the new computer dominant systems. It also creates entirely new privacy issues. Teachers who use emails or blogs to keep in contact with students must be cautious that all interactions are professional, and available for review by parents and principals.
- If I became a teacher I would certainly utilize technology to help make the classroom more interactive. If the resources were available to me I would like to be able to have students working on computers, individually or in groups, to solve problems, perform tasks, complete puzzles, and do research. I also believe in mixed medias in the classroom. I would utilize classroom computers to play music, videos, show pictures and illustrations to teach a lesson, explain a concept, or illuminate an art or truth from every possible angle.
- I don't necessarily want to be a teacher in a traditional school or public school. I don't agree with the way most schools go about teaching children to just spit back facts and list off answers. I believe in truly teaching critical and abstract thinking that is not confined by strict structure or finite time limitations. I was home schooled, and plan on doing the same for my children, so whether I ever become a career teacher or not, I intend to spend portions of my life teaching in some form or another.
Blog Journal #10 prompts
16 years ago
I totally agree with using mixed media in the classroom. It's definitely a vital part of learning now with children as easily distracted as they are.
ReplyDeleteI think it's really interesting that you were homeschooled. I have a lot of friends who came out of home schooling hating it, so I'm surprised that you would carry that on with your children... is there any reason why specifically?
If you don't want to be a teacher what would you like to do?
I agree that technology has made the instructors job easier to carry out, but i'm not sure how integral software is to student learning and comprehension.
ReplyDelete