Monday, September 21, 2009

blog post #3

  • I might create a lesson plan for a high school lit class using Microsoft Word. Using MS Word I would be able to write out the lesson plan in detail, using columns or bullet points as needed. I could also insert an image as needed, or if the lessen plan was distributed electronically, insert hyperlinks to websites with assigned readings or helpful tips on tackling homework.
  • As a teacher of high school students there would definitely be a lot of potential problems with having internet access in a class room. The potential issues go beyond the teenagers simply being distracted by computers and the internet and enters all sorts of hazardous waters when it comes to being able to monitor what they are doing and where they are going on the web. It would definitely be important to have a system of firewalls and filters to keep students from wandering too far on the world wide web.
  • I know that when I'm trying to figure out how to do something that is new to me I turn to the internet and it's wealth of instructional videos to help me out. A great place to find a whole slew of these is on eHow (formerly Expert Village). eHow could be used in a classroom setting to teach students about particular projects, shoe them how to find answers and instructions using the web, or simply about making a how-to video.

2 comments:

  1. I also want to be a high school teacher. I agree that it's hard to monitor what students are looking at during school hours. Thankfull there are security settings. Unfortunately these can hinder some academic searches,and I have seen teachers frutrated with this before. Hopefully we can find a happy medium that allows students to open their minds academically through the internet but not look at anything innappropriate or distracting during school. Especially that darn myspace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Microsoft Word would be a great tool to use when writing a lesson plan. With all of the knowledge I've learned from this class, such as how to use hyperlikns, I am sure that I too will use it in my future career!

    ReplyDelete